Born May 6, 1943, Los Angeles, California. Graduated Pasadena High School, 1961. BA Psychology, Pomona College, 1965. Art Graduate Studies, University of California, Irvine, 1965-1966. MA Art, Claremont Graduate School, 1973.
Awards in Art
- National Endowments for the Arts, 1968.
- Guggenheim Fellowship, 1974.
- National Endowments for the Arts, Matching Grant, 1975.
- Arizona Commission for the Arts and Humanities, Visual Arts Fellowship, 1980.
- Lumen Award, New York Section Illuminating Engineering Society with the International Association of Lighting Designers, 1981.
- Katherine T. and John D. MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, 1984.
- “Bessie” Award, New York, for Best Collaboration with a Dance Company, 1985.
- Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres, France, 1991.
- Freidrich Prize, Frankfurt, Germany, 1992.
- Distinguished Achievement Award, National Council of Art Administrators, 1994.
- Skowhegan Award for Sculpture, 1994.
- Governor’s Arts Award, Artist of the Year, Arizona, 1997.
- Wolf Foundation, Wolf Prize, Israel, 1998.
- Scottsdale Cultural Arts Council, Artist of the Year, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2000.
- Fellowship in the American Academy of Arts and Science, 2004.
- Flying Elephants Foundation Fellowship, 2006.
- National Arts Club Medal of Honor for Art, 2006.
- Commandeur de L’Ordre des Arts et des Letters, 2006.
- Certificate of Recognition, City of Los Angeles, California, 2006.
- Marsh Award for Public Sculpture, Public Monuments and Sculpture Association, London, England, 2007.
- Award of Excellence in Public Art from the City of Claremont, CA for the Pomona Skyspace, 2008.
- National Academy of Arts and Letters, 2011
- Belgium Academy of Arts and Letters, 2011
- American Academy of Arts and Letters, 2011
- Smithsonian Archives of American Art, 2013
- National Medal of Arts, 2013 Awarded in 2014
Awards in Architecture
- Grand Medailles d’Argent, Fondation Academie d’Architecture, Paris, France, 2000.
- Jefferson Medal in Architecture, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, 2002.
- Citation from The American Institute of Architects, Seattle, 2003.
- Le Medallion de la Ville de Paris, France, Art and Architecture, 2003.
- Sustainable Building Award, Coconino County, Arizona, 2004.
- Honor Award for Design, U.S. General Services Administration, Washington, DC, 2008.
- Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects, London, England, 2009.
- Velux Award from E.T.H., Zurich, Switzerland for the Skyspace, “Piz Uter,” in Zous, Switzerland, 2010.
- Honorary Doctor of Arts, Chicago Art Institute, 1999.
- Honorary Doctorate, Pomona College, California, 2001.
- Honorary Doctorate, Royal Academy of Art, London, England, 2002.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, California, 2003.
- Honorary Doctorate, California College of the Arts, San Francisco, California, 2004.
- Honorary Doctorate, Haverford College, Haverford, Pennsylvania, 2004.
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Northern Arizona University, 2005.
- Honorary Doctorate, Università IUAV di Venezia, Venice, Italy, 2007.
- Honorary Doctorate Degree from Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD, 2014